High-rise buildings have become a common sight all around the world. Lifts form a crucial part of such establishment’s infrastructure to facilitate operation, making it vital to have an effective elevator safety strategy.
Therefore, every building must devise a fire protection and evacuation plan to equip lifts and lift shafts with smart fire detection solutions.
So here is a guide that will help installers provide the best fire detectors for lifts to their buyers.
The Role of Lifts and Lift Shafts in a Smart Fire Safety and Evacuation Strategy
Well, many countries now have modern elevator systems that do not require to be shut down in case of fire. Rather, they form one of the primary sources of evacuation along with the staircases.
Lift shafts also provide ample ventilation by acting as a chimney, minimising the risk of fire and smoke reaching other floors. This helps in avoiding chaos and panic in the evacuation process.
Now let’s look at the challenges that are faced while installing fire detectors in elevators.
There are a number of challenges that installers must keep in mind while designing a smart fire detection system for their customers.
- Ensure that the downtime during the installation is kept to a minimum to avoid disruption to the building operations.
- There are chances that heat and friction created by the lift may create smoke.
- In some places, having access to spot detectors for service, testing and replacement can be a difficult task.
- Humidity and high temperatures may lead to corrosion.
- There can be bulky electrical wiring and switchgear already present.
- There are likely to be a number of oiling and greasing points present in the lift shaft.
- Air travels quickly within lift shafts and moving lifts adding to the acceleration of the air.
- The maintenance of fire detectors must be undertaken carefully as the lift shafts are deep with various obstacles and moving parts that may cause injury.
Given these reasons, it is viable to install fire detectors such as Texecom’s Exodus OH|4W Optical Smoke and Heat Multisensor that can provide early detection, hassle-free installation and maintenance along with bleak chances of false alarms.
Exodus OH by Texecom can prove to be a viable solution to the complications of lifts and lift shafts. The following properties make it one of the most suited fire detectors for installers to place in lifts:
- Texecom’s Exodus Series is at the forefront of fire detection performance and reliability which has been awarded BSI Kitemark.
- It is capable of fast detection in wide range of fires.
- Its multisensor enables it to detect both smoke and heat.
- The installation and maintenance is a breeze.
- It comes with an improved false alarm immunity
These features make it a trustworthy choice of fire detection for both the installers and their clientele.