A study of 1500 decision makers across Europe into the attitudes towards and behaviours behind cloud adoption has provided some revelatory insight that will be of interest to the physical security industry.
The survey, conducted by Morphean highlights not only a favourable shift towards cloud but also a need to adopt technology to extract the intelligent insights needed to accelerate business growth.
Respondents from organisations with 25 employees and above from the UK, France and Germany were asked to share their views on cloud technologies, cloud security, future cloud investment and new areas of cloud growth. The results showed that while nearly nine out of ten businesses surveyed are already using cloud-based software solutions, 89% of respondents would possibly or definitely move physical security technology such as video surveillance and access control to the cloud. Furthermore, 92% felt it to be important or very important that their physical security solutions meet their overall business objectives.
Key survey findings include:
- 89% of businesses surveyed are using cloud-based software solutions, with 81% having set a cloud strategy for the year ahead
- Over a quarter (27%) of cloud users report the principal reason for moving services to the cloud was that it is safer/offers better security options (ahead of cost-effectiveness and ability to collaborate)
- On average, 33% of IT budgets have been spent on cloud services in the past 24 months; 78% expect their cloud spend to increase within the next two years
- Respondents estimate that, on average, 47% of their internal data will be cloud processed in the next two to five years
- 89% of respondents would possibly or definitely move physical security technology such as video surveillance and access control to the cloud
- 92% feel it’s important or very important that their physical security solutions meet their overall business objectives
- 25% have had a data breach in the past 24 months
- Of the 11% of respondents that would not consider using the cloud for physical security, 64% advised this was due to cybersecurity concerns
Rodrigue Zbinden, CEO at Morphean, states, “This study of our market across Europe underpins what we already knew from conversations on the ground but lacked the statistical evidence to prove. Fears of cyber-attack have hindered enterprise adoption of cloud in certain industries, such as the physical security sector. The attitude that ‘if we don’t own it, we can’t control it’ has perhaps persisted until now. But with more and more businesses migrating their legacy systems to proven cloud platforms for email, CRM, ERP and HR, we know that security will be the next big area of growth for a number of sound reasons.”
The Morphean ‘Physical security and the cloud’ White paper can be found here